Pioneer through Little House on the Prairie
For a pioneer experience, it doesn’t get any better than in De Smet, homestead to the famous author Laura Ingalls Wilder and her novel “Little Town on the Prairie.” Two of the Ingalls’ actual homes are open for tours, hands-on fun can be found at the site of the original Ingalls Homestead, and an outdoor pageant held every summer recreates one of Laura’s books in a setting overlooking the homestead.
Ride the covered wagon across the prairie to a one-room schoolhouse session. Make corncob dolls and ropes, see demonstrations of hay twisting and wheat grinding, drive a pony cart, and interact with farm animals. Camping is available at a variety of spots including covered wagons, a bunkhouse, and RV and tent sites.
- Ingalls Homestead
- Prairie Bus Tour
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Homes Tours
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Pageant
- Loftus Store
Learn about the 9 American Indian tribes home to South Dakota
There are nine American Indian tribes that call South Dakota home, and each has a unique story to tell. Working together, they welcome visitors into their communities to educate and share. When visiting Native communities, you will experience genuine hospitality, discover authentic art, and hear about the fascinating history and unique culture of the American Indian people.
- Crazy Horse Memorial – Custer
- Prairie Edge – Rapid City
- Akta Lakota Museum & Cultural Center – Chamberlain
- Good Earth State Park at Blood Run – Sioux Falls
- Prehistoric Indian Village – Mitchell
- The Heritage Center at Red Cloud Indian School – Pine Ridge
- Tatanka Story of the Bison – Deadwood
- Tatanka Rez Tours-Pine Ridge
Step back in Prehistoric time to the Land of Dinosaurs
Millions of years ago, the Black Hills, Badlands, and western prairie were home to countless species of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals. Since then, the areas have made names for themselves as enticing and interactive destinations that will appeal to anyone with a proclivity for paleontology.
- The Museum at Black Hills Institute – Hill City
- The Journey Museum & Learning Center – Rapid City
- Museum of Geology – Rapid City
- The Mammoth Site – Hot Springs
- Badlands National Park – Interior
For more information, contact:
South Dakota Department of Tourism
711 E. Wells Avenue, Dolly Reed Plaza
Pierre, SD 57501 USA